Smothered Cheesy Chicken. Smothered Cheesy Chicken with bacon and potatoes… that is pretty much all I need to say, y’all. This is sooo good. A must try.
I am so thrilled to share this recipe with you today! It just so happens to be one of the oh-so-good recipes from my friend Mandy’s new cook book South Your Mouth.
And y’all… ahem…I figure since this post is all about southern food, I can let my southern Indiana accent come out or as the hubs says my Paoli accent ;)…
Now where was I? Oh yeah… y’all THIS is a fantastic cookbook full of knock-your-socks-off recipes by one talented home cook.
Ya know this blogging thing has brought a lot of amazing and uber-talented people into my life and Miss Mandy is definitely among those that I count as a blessing. Her blog (also entitled) South Your Mouth is full of great recipes and smart sass that will leave you laughing all the way to the kitchen.
But more than that– on a personal note– I really admire how Mandy stays true to herself and how she cooks at home. And man, can she cook! You won’t see Mandy chasing the latest food trends… if she is sharing it, you know it is tried and true and ah-mazing!
Smothered Cheesy Chicken
This casserole starts with a cheese sauce then layers of seasoned potato slices with more cheese sauce. It is eventually topped with seasoned chicken tenders, cheese and bacon… and all baked to a golden goodness.
To say my family loved this recipe is an under statement.
Miss Add was crazy over it. You can always tell when Miss Add likes a recipe. She will practically give it a commercial afterward!
“That is SO good! No, seriously– soo good!!”
So take it from Miss Add, you are going to want to give Mandy’s Smothered Cheesy Chicken a try!
Smothered Cheesy Chicken
- 1 10 3/4 oz Can Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 1 1/4 Cups Milk
- 4-5 Medium Russet Potatoes- Washed Peeled and Cut into 1/4 inch Slices
- 10 Slices of Bacon
- 8 Chicken Breast Tenderloings
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray 9 x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Whisk cheese soup and milk together until smooth.
- Reserve 1 cup of cheese soup mixture to use later.
- Spoon 1/4 of remaining mixture into bottom of your casserole dish.
- Add a layer of potato slices and season with salt and pepper then top with another 1/4 of the sauce.
- Repeat layers two more times.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet until crispy and set aside,
- Season chicken and sear in the bacon drippings until browned and set aside.
- Remove potatoes from oven and arrange chicken on top of the potatoes and pour reserved soup mixture over top of the chicken.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Bake uncovered until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Big thanks to Mandy for sending me a copy of her new cookbook! And guess what?!? She sent offered to send one to one of my lucky readers too!!
Enter to win a copy by commenting and letting me know your favorite comfort food. That’s it… easy peasy! I will draw a random winner on 8/15/14 at 11 PM and let them know via email. Once you receive the email, you will have 48 hours to respond with your address so we can ship you a copy! GOODe luck!!
This recipe was shared on Weekend Potluck.
I am the mama behind GOODEness Gracious and the owner of Cris Goode Solutions.Here at GOODEness Gracious, we like to keep it light and fun as we cook up family meals, share our super mommy secrets and chat it up about the GOODe life:)So come on in and sit a spell.