Want a super easy meal to throw together this week? Even better yet, want to have PLENTY for leftovers? This Cheesy Chicken Stack recipe from Gooseberry Patch’s Foolproof Family Recipes is exactly that!
Aunt Lou here.
I have never used canned chicken in a recipe before. To be perfectly honest, I was a little put off by the thought of it. You see, I have quite the picky palate and my mind is my worst enemy when it comes to food. If something isn’t in the realm of what my mind finds acceptable, I just can’t handle it. Just ask Cris about the incident of Thanksgiving 2005. She STILL gives me a hard time about that Thanksgiving.
Anyway, back to the chicken. This recipe called for canned chicken, and I desperately needed a quick and easy meal. There was no time to thaw out one of my gargantuan packs of frozen chicken breasts since they don’t fit in the microwave.
So, I sucked it up, decided to override my picky brain and give it a try. Now that I have had it, I honestly don’t know what my problem was! I mean, it IS chicken after all. So what’s the difference and man did it make this recipe a snap to make!
I did make an alteration to this recipe (shocker right?). Michael and I aren’t too keen on enchilada sauce, so we used taco sauce. The result was awesome! However, if you are an enchilada sauce lover, go ahead and give that a try as well!
Cheesy Chicken Stacks
Preheat your oven to 350.
While your oven is heating up, warm your beans through on the stove.
Place your taco sauce in a saucepan and warm through.
Drain your chicken, flake apart with two forks and mix with your taco sauce.
Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
Layer one tortilla, a dollop of beans, a dollop of chicken/sauce mixture and some cheese.
Repeat until you are all out or at the top of your dish.
Bake for uncovered for 15 minutes (should be hot and bubbly).
Remove from your oven and let it stand for about 10-15 minutes.
Cut into wedges and serve with your favorite taco toppings.
Even with Ryder gobbling this up like a teenager, this recipe still lasted us 3-4 meals. It is one hearty dish that definitely fills you up and lasts! Enjoy!
- 1 pkg of 8 inch burrito-size flour tortilla
- 16 oz can refried beans
- 2 jars (10 oz each) taco sauce
- 2 cans (12½ oz each) white chicken, drained and flaked
- 2 c sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- While your oven is heating up, warm your beans through on the stove.
- Place your taco sauce in a saucepan and warm through.
- Drain your chicken, flake apart with two forks and mix with your taco sauce.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Layer one tortilla, beans, chicken/sauce mixture and cheese.
- Repeat until you are all out or at the top of your dish.
- Bake for uncovered for 15 minutes (should be hot and bubbly).
- Remove from your oven and let it stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve with your favorite taco toppings.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
I’m the wife of Michael and momma of a preschooler and toddler just walking through this life step by step focusing on enjoying the little things in life. I am in awe of the many blessings big and small I receive daily from a pretty amazing God who calls me His own. Sometimes life is crazy and messy, but I am loving every minute of it. Welcome to my chaos.