Are you intimidated by the idea of homemade chicken pot pie? This recipe for Easy Chicken Pot Pie is the perfect starter recipe for anyone wanting to give it a try for the first time (or a great simple recipe for those pros out there!).
Then I pulled her aside and told her my secret.
Well actually it is my pal Liz’s secret… my go to baking bloggy bud…(Check her out over on Two Maids a Milking)
She told me years ago that you buy the pie crust dough in the refrigerator aisle and put it in your own pie dish and no one knows the difference.
Did I mention how much I love Liz? Girlfriend can bake like a pro… used to work at a bakery even, but she totally gets that sometimes the dough in the refrigerator aisle is totally fine and admits to it… she gets me.
Need further proof about the nice roll out sheets of dough are the secret in kitchens across America? I was standing looking at the dough the other day… totally thinking through another recipe and this woman comes up to me and whispers…
“Get it. You won’t regret it.”
Before I could respond, she went full on commercial on me.
“No sweetie, really. They are fantastic. Really good. Do yourself a favor!”
Rather than explaining I had been using them for years thanks to Liz, I just politely thanked her and smiled.
So there you and Aunt Lou have it… the secret to the wonderfully flaky crust is Pillsbury’s, not mine 😉
Truth be told there are other secrets hidden in this pie too… namely the 3 cups of chicken in it totally came from a store bought rotisserie chicken! I just pulled the meat off of the bones and tossed them in my food processor to roughly chop it.
I tell on myself to hopefully encourage someone out there to give it a try and not be intimidated. This really is a great simple way to make a pot pie that folks will swear was totally from-scratch.
The original inspiration for this Chicken Pot Pie is found in the new Gooseberry Patch Cookbook: Everyday Simple Suppers (enter to win a copy) as Turkey Pot Pie.
I obviously switched out chicken for the turkey and added some celery to the recipe… because it just felt right ;)… also I am practicing with my food processor to get over my issues (more on that on another day).
I also brushed on a basic egg wash before baking to get that nice golden coloring on my pie.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1/3 Cup Onion-Chopped
- 3 Stalks Celery- Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- Salt & Pepper -To Taste
- 1 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 3 Cups Chopped Chicken I used Rotisserie Chicken
- 10 oz Frozen Peas & Carrots- Thawed
- 14 oz pkg Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts
- Egg Wash: Egg yolk and 1 T Milk whisked together
- Melt butter in a skillet on low.
- Stir in onion, celery, flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly then remove from heat.
- Stir in broth and milk and then heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Once boiling, heat and stir for one minute.
- Mix in chicken and remaining veggies and then set aside.
- Roll out one crust and place in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan or a 9 x9 baking dish.
- Pour mixture on top of crust.
- Roll remaining crust out big enough to cover pie/square and cut a vent with a small cookie cutter.
- Place over filling and crimp edges to bottom dough.
- Cut additional slits into crust.
- Brush with egg wash and loosely cover with foil.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes, removing foil for the last 10 minutes.
Did you miss these other great recipes from Gooseberry Patch Cookbook: Everyday Simple Suppers:
- Meatball Noodle Bake
- Pita Pizzas
- Tuscan Pork Roast
- Pizza Skillet Bake
- Ham & Cheese Skillet
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Maple Ham & Egg Cups
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stuffing Casserole
Stay tuned for more Simple Suppers this week!
Affiliate links were used in this post.
I am the mama behind GOODEness Gracious and the owner of Cris Goode Solutions.
Here at GOODEness Gracious, we like to keep it light and fun as we cook up family meals, share our super mommy secrets and chat it up about the GOODe life:)
So come on in and sit a spell.