In the mood for chicken? This Crispy Corn Flake Chicken from Gooseberry Patch’s Rush-Hour Recipes is not only easy to make, it is absolutely delicious!
Aunt Lou here.
I have fallen in love with using corn flakes in recipes. It all started with these Crispy Ranch Pork Chops and continued on with some Homemade Steak Fries. The corn flakes just add a flavor to the breading that is so amazing.
I am still slowly working my way through our freezer full of chicken and have multiple packs of drumsticks and thighs. So when I saw this Crispy Corn Flake Chicken recipe, I knew I needed to pull out some thighs and get to work. I like to have lots of breading, so I doubled the recipe for the breading and it worked perfectly for my ten chicken thighs.
I am highly sensitive to spicy foods, so I adjusted the crushed red pepper and it came out wonderfully! There was enough for the flavor to come through (even for my spicy food lovin’ husband), but not so much that it hurt to eat. Perfection in my world. 🙂
Crispy Corn Flake Chicken
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Remove the skin from your thighs or drumsticks and throw it away.
Take your egg and whisk it together with the water in a small bowl.
Crush up your cereal. I tried crushing the cereal by hand, but to get the fine texture that I love, it is so much easier to use my little single serving blender.
In a second bowl mix together your finely crushed cereal, oil, salt and crushed red pepper.
Coat your chicken in the egg mixture.
Then put the chicken in the cereal mixture and press the breading firmly onto the chicken.
Place the chicken on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes.
Tip: Make sure your chicken is thawed completely before starting this recipe. I didn’t plan ahead (shocker right?) and got a little impatient trying to get my chicken thawed. My impatience caused my baking time to be a little bit longer. You want to make sure that the juices run clear and to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer before serving.
When the chicken is ready to come out of the oven, it will be crispy, golden and mouth watering good!
Crispy Corn Flake Chicken
- 10 chicken drumsticks and/or thighs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 T water
- 4 c corn flakes cereal crushed
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 t salt
- 3/4 t crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove the skin from chicken and throw it away
- Whisk egg together with the water in a small bowl
- Crush up cereal in blender
- In a second bowl, mix together the finely crushed cereal, oil, salt and crushed red pepper
- Coat chicken in the egg mixture
- Put chicken in cereal mixture and press breading firmly onto chicken
- Place the chicken on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes
- Make sure that the juices run clear and to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer
Affiliate links were used in this post.