When Hodgson Mill asked me to enter their recipe contest, I instantly thought of our family’s favorite brownie cake.
This yummy light and fluffy “brownie” has a very unique flavor due to a secret ingredient 😉 and always goes over well at gatherings.
So, I tweaked my recipe ever so slightly to use a mixture of Hodgson Mill’s Whole Wheat Flour and White Flour and the verdict is in… the family LOVED it.
Bring to a boil and then set aside.
And mix it with 1/2 Cup Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Flour and 1 1/2 Cups Hodgson Mill White Flour
And then add our very special secret ingredient… 1 T Cinnamon and blend well.
- 2 Sticks Butter
- 1 Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Cocoa
- 2 Cups Sugar
- ½ Cup Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- 1½ Cup Hodgson Mill White Flour
- 1 t Baking Soda
- 1 T Cinnamon
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 1 T Vanilla
- 1 Stick Butter
- ¼ Cup Cocoa
- 1 lb Powdered Sugar
- 3-4 T Water
- ⅔ Cup Chopped Walnuts- Divided
- Take 2 sticks butter and melt in a saucepan.
- Add water and cocoa and bring to a boil and set aside.
- Mix flours, baking soda, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add Eggs, Buttermilk and Vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in Cocoa sauce and mix well with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 11 x17 cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Prepare icing:
- Melt a stick of butter.
- Add Cocoa, powdered sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add ⅓ cup of nuts.
- Pour icing over warm cake.
- Top with remaining nuts.
- Cool completely before serving.
Psst… Don’t miss your chance to win a $25 Gift Certificate from Hodgson Mill.
I am the mama behind GOODEness Gracious and the owner of Cris Goode Solutions.Here at GOODEness Gracious, we like to keep it light and fun as we cook up family meals, share our super mommy secrets and chat it up about the GOODe life:)So come on in and sit a spell.