Do you like to bring THE dish to a potluck? You know, the one everyone asks for the recipe at the night? This recipe for Cheesy Cottage Potatoes from Gooseberry Patch’s Foolproof Family Recipes is the perfect dish for your next gathering.
Cheesy Cottage Potatoes
This casserole is such a unique take on scalloped potatoes! I love how the onion and pimento flavors blend with the Velveeta making each bite of the potato chunks– not traditional slices– so yummy! To top it all off, the casserole is finished with buttered crushed corn flakes. It made such a fantastic dish that everyone asked for seconds.
Now, there are a lot more steps to this recipe than most of the recipes I share here BUT don’t let that keep you away– especially if you are making this dish for something special like a holiday dinner or special celebration. It will be worth it! Promise.
Now a bit of confession time.
Aunt Lou and I fought over this recipe.
We both saw it and both wanted to share it.
I won’t share the gory details, but I won. ;P
Which is only fair because she always won when we fought as kids… just sayin’.
Then I would get the “you’re the older sister, you should be nice to your little sister” speech, rinse and repeat.
Don’t believe me?
I present to you exhibit A. Prior to this image, we were innocently posing for a vacation pic in our shorts in the mountain snow. As I turn away the little booger throws a snowball at me causing me to loose my flip flop in a snow drift and subsequently leaving my foot inches away from amputation from frost bite. Okay maybe that last part is a bit of exaggeration… but still.
But now all these years later… I get to make the recipe… see how it all comes back around Aunt Lou?
I kid, I kid… promise Mom ;).
Everyone knows little sisters can pester and older sisters can gripe but if someone ever messes with little sister, they have big sister to contend with… Just ask a rude teenage boy back in 2002 at an American Eagle at Castleton Square Mall, right Aunt Lou 😉 But that is another story for another day…
Now, how about that recipe?
Cheesy Cottage Potatoes
- 10 Russet Potatoes I used Red Potatoes instead
- 1 Onion- Chopped
- 8 to 12 oz Velveeta I used 12oz to make it cheesier
- 1 Slice Fresh Bread- Torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 oz Pimentos
- 1/2 Cup Butter- Melted and Divided
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Corn Flakes- Crushed
- Boil potatoes, cooking until tender- 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and cool, then peel. Note: We don't mind skins so I left part of mine on. If they easily came off, I took them off but wasn't too careful.
- Cut Potatoes into cubes.
- In a bowl, add potatoes to cheese, onion, bread, salt and pimentos and mix well.
- Drizzle with 6 Tbsp of the butter and pour into a large casserole dish.
- Pour milk evenly over casserole.
- Combine crushed cereal and remaining butter and then sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
I am the mama behind GOODEness Gracious and the owner of Cris Goode Solutions.
Here at GOODEness Gracious, we like to keep it light and fun as we cook up family meals, share our super mommy secrets and chat it up about the GOODe life:)
So come on in and sit a spell.