Looking for something sweet but a little different than your usual go to? These Almond Coffee Cakes taste a little like sugary cinnamon rolls and give you the perfect excuse to have something sweet for breakfast.
It caught my eye because I love me some almond flavor in my sweets and I am a big coffee cake fan… Almond Coffee Cake? A no brainer here!
I did two things a little different than the original… shocker, right? Long time readers know that I hardly ever leave a recipe alone 😉
The first thing I did was to make this “coffee cake” into “mini coffee cakes” with my trusty Brownie Pan. I did this both for portion control and serving at a party.
I did bake them with a pat of light butter on each cake… but next time, I am going to go ahead and make a traditional crumble with the butter, sugar and cinnamon. (This change is reflected in the recipe below.)
My guess is next time they will be a little bit more coffee-cake-like. Regardless, the flavor is really GOODe so we will be trying it again!
Note: Make sure you use Pure Almond Extract… no imitators please 😉
Almond Coffee Cake
- 1/4 Cup Shortening
- 1-1/3 Cups Sugar- Divided
- 2 Eggs-Beaten
- 1 T Almond Extract
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1-1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 T Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- Combine shortening and one cup of the sugar in a bowl, blending well.
- Add almond extract, baking powder and eggs.
- Then add milk and flour gradually until smooth.
- Spread batter into greased 9 x 13 pan or brownie pan.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Combine butter, remaining sugar and cinnamon until crumble forms and sprinkle crumble on top of batter.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until it can pass the toothpick test.
Affiliate links are used in this post.