Looking for something sweet but a little different than your usual go to? These Almond Coffee Cakes taste a little like sugary cinnamon rolls and give you the perfect excuse to have something sweet for breakfast.
It caught my eye because I love me some almond flavor in my sweets and I am a big coffee cake fan… Almond Coffee Cake? A no brainer here!
I did two things a little different than the original… shocker, right? Long time readers know that I hardly ever leave a recipe alone 😉
The first thing I did was to make this “coffee cake” into “mini coffee cakes” with my trusty Brownie Pan. I did this both for portion control and serving at a party.
I did bake them with a pat of light butter on each cake… but next time, I am going to go ahead and make a traditional crumble with the butter, sugar and cinnamon. (This change is reflected in the recipe below.)
My guess is next time they will be a little bit more coffee-cake-like. Regardless, the flavor is really GOODe so we will be trying it again!
Note: Make sure you use Pure Almond Extract… no imitators please 😉
Almond Coffee Cake
- 1/4 Cup Shortening
- 1-1/3 Cups Sugar- Divided
- 2 Eggs-Beaten
- 1 T Almond Extract
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1-1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 T Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- Combine shortening and one cup of the sugar in a bowl, blending well.
- Add almond extract, baking powder and eggs.
- Then add milk and flour gradually until smooth.
- Spread batter into greased 9 x 13 pan or brownie pan.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Combine butter, remaining sugar and cinnamon until crumble forms and sprinkle crumble on top of batter.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until it can pass the toothpick test.
Affiliate links are used in this post.
I am the mama behind GOODEness Gracious and the owner of Cris Goode Solutions.
Here at GOODEness Gracious, we like to keep it light and fun as we cook up family meals, share our super mommy secrets and chat it up about the GOODe life:)
So come on in and sit a spell.