Are you looking for an easy way to change up Taco Night? This quick and easy Taco Skillet recipe is perfect for those busy nights where you could use a little extra Ole to the day!
I found the original recipe in Gooseberry Patch’s Weeknight Dinners Cookbook, which just so happens to feature Miss Add’s recipe for Fruit Tacos 😉 and our new family favorite Saucy Chicken Legs. I altered this festive dish to fit what I had on hand and thought it was perfect for our On the Lighter Side Series.
We all loved this hearty but lighter version of a Taco Skillet. And I loved that not only was it a cinch to make, Miss Add ate it right up- tomatoes, green pepper, onion, lettuce and all.
The recipe already did a great job of suggesting lighter ingredients, but I made a couple adjustments to fit my pantry/fridge and our normal favorite go-to foods.
- We used Extra Lean Ground Beef in lieu of Ground Turkey as a personal preference.
- We used Ronzoni Smart Taste Macaroni
- Instead of 4 small cans of tomato sauce, we used 1 large can (15 oz) and 1 can diced tomatoes and added 1 tsp Cumin.
- We used Multi-grain Tortilla Chips
- We used Low Fat Sour Cream and 2 % Mexican Shredded Cheese
- 6 oz dry Ronzoni Smart Taste Macaroni- Cooked
- 1 lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 Cup Onion- Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Green Pepper- Chopped
- 1 Can 15 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 Can 15 oz Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Picante Sauce
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 Cup 2 % Mexican Shredded Cheese
- To Taste: Lettuce Crushed Tortilla Chips, Low fat Sour Cream, Taco Sauce, Avocado, Etc.
- Brown Ground Beef with Onion and Green Bell Pepper until onion and peppers are tender and ground beef is cooked.
- Add sauces, cumin and cooked macaroni and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Serve up individual portions over a bed of lettuce and top with cheese, chips and sour cream, etc. as desired.
Affiliate links were used in this post.