We are finally back from vacation and tonight I decided to whip up something tasty and sweet to keep on hand while we get back on track for our Year 2 Change Challenge…
Truth be told, my pal Megan had already reminded me that it is a certain time of year again… time for her fabulous Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins… They are LEGENDARY around these parts…
— M Kuhn (@megmkuhn) October 20, 2012
However, after 10 days of little indulgences here and there on vacation, I knew I needed to find a way to satisfy that craving a little lighter this time around.
Then I stumbled upon Skinny Taste’s Pumpkin Muffin Recipe and my creative juices got to flowing and I decided to whip up a combination of sorts of the two recipes 😉
I started with two egg whites in my mixer bowl…
Added 2 T of Oil
1 1/2 Cup Pumpkin (not the pie filling)
and 1 1/2 t Vanilla– beating all that together until combined.
In a different bowl, I combined the dry ingredients… 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat White Flour, 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour, 1 t Cinnamon, 1 t Baking Soda, 1/4 t Salt, 1 t Nutmeg and 6 T Brown Sugar Blend Splenda (if you do not like Splenda, add 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar).
Once combined, I added that mixture gradually to my wet ingredients and mixed well.
Then I folded in 1/4 cup Chopped Pecans
And 2 oz Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips which I ran my knife through to break them up into even smaller pieces.
I lined my muffin tin with paper liners and spritzed them with non-stick spray.
Then I portioned the batter evenly among the 12 cups and baked at 350 for 15 minutes.
The result was a very dense and yummy pumpkin muffin that totally did the job of settling my craving for just 150 calories a muffin.
Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Chip Skinny Muffins
- 2 Egg Whites
- 2 T Oil
- 1 1/2 t Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Pumpkin
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat White Flour
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 t Cinnamon
- 1/4 t Salt
- 1 t Nutmeg
- 1 t Baking Soda
- 6 T Brown Sugar Splenda Blend or 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans
- 2 Oz Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips- Chopped
- Beat egg whites, oil, pumpkin and vanilla together.
- Mix remaining ingredients (except pecans and chocolate) in a separate bowl and gradually add to wet ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Line a regular muffin pan with liners and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Scoop batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.