Are you looking for a delicious new casserole to mix up your weeknight dinners? This recipe for Meatball Noodle Bake quickly became a family favorite at our house!
Truth be told, I was immediately drawn to this recipe when I saw it in the new Gooseberry Patch’s Everyday Simple Suppers.
I saw it as a prime candidate for my On the Lighter Side Series. From the meatballs to the cream sauce to the pasta, simple substitutions make it easy to keep the yummy homestyle taste while lightening things up just a bit.
Below are the changes I made to the original recipe to shave off the calories and fat. Feel free to use the original ingredients if you’d prefer.
- Instead of making my own meatballs, I used frozen turkey meatballs and just heated them through before adding them to the casserole. This was both to lower the fat and guarantee a flavor my family loves. They love frozen meatballs.
- Instead of using two cups of full fat sour cream, I used 1 cup of light sour cream and 1 cup of plain non-fat Greek Yogurt. Note: Plain Greek Yogurt tastes a lot like sour cream… Vanilla Greek Yogurt, not so much… not that I know from experience or anything.
- Instead of canned peas, I chose to use frozen peas for a brighter taste. If your family isn’t a pea fan, you could always substitute asparagus or even green beans.
- Instead of regular Cream of Mushroom Soup, I used the Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup.
- Instead of regular pasta, I used Ronzoni’s Smart Taste Pasta for added fiber with less calories. Note: If your family is a big fan of pasta, you could easily add 12 oz of pasta instead of 7 oz o make this dish go even further.
By making these simple substitutions I was able to up the protein (thanks to the Greek yogurt) and lower the fat while keeping things oh-so yummy and super simple.
Gooseberry Patch’s Everyday Simple Suppers is proving to be a winner in my book. This is the second recipe I have tried so far and both knocked it out of the ball park. Look for a review and giveaway soon thanks to my friends at Gooseberry Patch.
Meatball Noodle Bake
- 1 lb Frozen Turkey Meatballs- Warmed Through
- 1 Cup Light Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 1/4 Cup Water
- 7 oz Ronzoni Rotini or Elbow Macaroni Pasta- Uncooked
- 12 oz Frozen Peas- Thawed
- 2 Cans 10 3/4 oz Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Optional: 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Cook pasta according package.
- Meanwhile combine soup, sour cream, yogurt and water.
- Add in peas, pasta and meatballs.
- Season well and pour into casserole dish and cover.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
- Optional: Remove cover and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Broil for 3 minutes or until bread crumbs brown.
20.2g Original Recipe:
11.9g *Optional ingredients not included
Affiliate links were used in this post.