Is life hectic? Is it hard to get dinner on the table at a decent hour? Do you love tacos? I have a solution for you! Check out this Crock Pot Freezer Packs: Taco Soup from Gooseberry Patch’s Slow-Cooker Christmas Favorites.
Aunt Lou here.
So I told you all about how easy it is to make this Slow Cooker Taco Soup. But what you didn’t know is how easy it is to freeze this and make it later!
Since we loved it the first time and Miss Iyla is coming SOON, I thought I better get to freezin’!
I had every intention of doing this when I was pregnant with Ryder. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it a priority, so it didn’t happen. And once Ryder was here, and I was a delirious zombie, I REALLY wished that I had. To be honest, if it wasn’t for Cris reminding me that I should be freezing right now, I would have let it slip through the cracks yet again.
We LOVED the flavor of this soup, and I am so excited that I have some in my freezer just waiting to be thrown in the crock pot after Miss Iyla arrives!
Crock Pot Freezer Packs: Taco Soup
This soup cooks up “fast” in your slow cooker. So even though the original recipe said to cook it on low for 6-8 hours, it thickened up to the perfect consistency in around 5-6 hours in my crock pot. So for anyone that needs this soup to hang out in their crock pot for closer to 8 hours, you can throw it in frozen! How awesome is that?!
The original recipe makes enough for 6-8 servings, so if your family is not big into leftovers, you can divide it up into two packets easily…you decide!
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 3 cans of kidney beans and/or other beans (15½ oz each)
- 2 pkgs of mild or spicy taco seasoning mix (1¼ oz each)
- 16 oz of beef broth
- Mark your freezer bags with month, year and recipe name.
- Divide all ingredients evenly between freezer bags if making more than one packet.
- Brown your ground meat in a skillet or micro-cooker, drain.
- Pour your browned meat into freezer bags.
- Dump your beans (juice and all), seasoning packets and broth on top of your browned meat.
- Close the freezer bags and squish/mush the bag until ingredients are well combined.
- Open bag and squeeze out all of the air before reclosing.
- Lay flat in your freezer.
- When ready to make, open and place ingredients in your crock pot for 6-8 hours on low OR place closed bag in a water bath until thawed, and then pour ingredients in your crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
I'm the wife of Michael and momma of a preschooler and toddler just walking through this life step by step focusing on enjoying the little things in life. I am in awe of the many blessings big and small I receive daily from a pretty amazing God who calls me His own. Sometimes life is crazy and messy, but I am loving every minute of it. Welcome to my chaos.