Do you love chili? Do you love veggie soup? This recipe for Crock Pot Chili Soup is the perfect combination of both and has quickly become a favorite for my family. So, we decided to turn it in to a crock pot freezer pack for an easy way to throw this recipe in the slow cooker on busy mornings.
Do you have a recipe that you love to throw in the crock pot but it calls for browning ground beef and onion before slow cooking? I don’t know about you, but during our busy mornings it is tough to get that “pre-step” done.
Enter Crock Pot Freezer Packs into my life. I do all the pre-steps on the weekend, assemble the rest of the recipe and throw into my freezer until time to throw into the slow cooker.
Such a great solution!
Freezer Packs for Crock Pots
Freezer packs solve so many issues for both freezer cooking AND slow cooking.
- Freezer Packets can be thrown together without a lot of pre-cooking and prep, unlike many freezer cooking casserole meals.
- You can freeze the packs flat in freezer bags with very little hassle come cooking time AND it saves TONS of freezer space.
- Many crock pot freezer pack meals do not require you to thaw them (or fully thaw) before tossing in the slow cooker.
- Placing frozen food in the slow cooker lengthens the time the food can cook and helps prevent overcooking, one of the downfalls of a lot of crock pot meals.
- Freezer packs can allow you to divide up huge crock pot recipes (a tendency with a lot of slow cooker recipes) into more appropriate sized meals for your family (read: less leftovers). NOTE: You will want to cook in a smaller slow cooker or use a bowl/dish inside of your large slow cooker if your reduced recipe does not fill your crock at least halfway.
- It is incredibly easy to make multiple crock pot freezer packs quickly. Making freezer cooking much more manageable.
Crock Pot Freezer Packs: Chili Soup
Now back to this Crock Pot Chili Soup. We just love it. I am sure this winter we will be serving it up with grilled cheese sandwiches! Yum. (I adapted this recipe from the 7 Can Chili Soup from Gooseberry Patch’s Slow-Cooker Christmas Favorites.)
Truth be told I make up several batches of this soup at a time to freeze so that we have it on hand since everyone is such a fan of it. I grab my favorite bowls and place freezer bags in each of them for super easy assembly.
Then when time comes, I partially thaw mine by throwing it in the fridge the night before and then just pop in the slow cooker in the morning and it is ready and waiting for us for dinner!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 15-oz cans chili with or without beans
- 15-1/4 oz can corn (I use Mexi-corn)
- 15 oz mixed vegetables
- 2 14-1/2 oz can Red Gold diced tomatoes (We used the roasted garlic and onion-- yum!)
- 10-3/4 oz can tomato soup
- 2 c beef broth or water
- Garnish: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown your ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat and drain.
- Place beef and onions in your freezer bag
- Add all ingredients in cans (liquid and all) and broth/water.
- Thaw just enough to place in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
I am the mama behind GOODEness Gracious and the owner of Cris Goode Solutions. Here at GOODEness Gracious, we like to keep it light and fun as we cook up family meals, share our super mommy secrets and chat it up about the GOODe life:) So come on in and sit a spell.